I’m blogging at substack for a while. Sign up here: https://commonreader.substack.com/
This started as a project to give me something to do during chemo. Once I settled back into normal life I went back to blogging and the blog started picking up readers.
Now that’s you. Thanks for being here. To help you move around I’ve listed a few blogs you might want to go to first.
The idea of the blog is that us and our lives – the things that happen to us – are less interesting than ideas, books and events.
Hopefully what you find here will prompt a dinner-table discussion, reinforce or refute something you think or believe, or just get you reading something else.
Do get in touch in comments or on the contact page with feedback, requests etc.
Most popular blogs
- A list of ten ways we are decadent and a (speculative) theory about why it might not matter
- A list of solutions to the Fermi Paradox
- People who have not yet succeeded but maybe they will
- What are the most important lessons for Dominic Cummings and British civil service reformers?
- How much did Churchill really drink?
- Harold Bloom obituary: ‘in quest of a mind more original.’
- 33 things I have learned at 33
Theatre and film
- Mean Girls and Shakespeare
- Conspiracy, at the New Diorama
- Bitter Wheat
- Lehman Trilogy, Piccadilly Theatre
A few of my favourites
- The Gate of Angels
- Obit, by Vanessa Gould
- Flow instead of stock
- There are no answers
- Shakespeare’s fools
- The Reluctant Mr Darwin, by David Quammen
- Other posts about Darwin
Blogs about determinism, intelligence (and related stuff)
- You are what you are, not what you were
- Maybe IQ is less important than we think
- You are who you are, part II
- Does practice make you perfect?
- Mr Rogers
- Won’t you be my neighbour
- The Tempest and Shakespeare’s creativity
- As You Like It: adolescence, gender and misrule
- Three posts about Hamlet
- The Enchanted April
- The child that books built
- Conundrum, Jan Morris
- Revolutionary Road, by Richard Yates